This post is sponsored by The Home Depot. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands we truly love!
I have been itching to start a project in our new little bungalow in Key West, and what better way to kick it off than creating a Vintage Inspired Bar Cart. This will be perfect for indoor or outdoor use and serving up some yummy cocktails including my favorite virgin watermelon cooler, YUM!
How to Easily Style a Bar Cart
I will be honest, we have never had a bar cart before! I know, what?! With having little babies it’s always been hard to have things that are “no touchy” in an easily accessible area where babies run free to play. Since they’re a bit older now, we thought why not!
After styling shelves, coffee tables, end tables and more for years now, I took a lot of the same tips and techniques I use for all of those and created a fool proof way to style a bar cart like a B-O-S-S!
First things first, finding the perfect bar cart. We decided to go with this matte black option that has glass and wood accents and rolling casters, Carter Modern Rolling Glass Bar 2-Tier Serving Cart Matte Black Metal Frame Oak Wood Shelf.
- Home Decorators Collection Gold Leaf Metal and Glass Rolling Bar Cart with Glass Top / 2. Nathan James Hallie Retro 2-Tray Beige Mid-Century with Black MEtal Finish RollingBar Cart or Serving Cart / 3. 3R Studios Collected Notions Antique Brass Metal 2-Tier Bar Cart on Caster Wheels / 4. Nathan James Sally 2-Tiered Black Metal Frame Glass Rolling Bar Cart and Tea or Cocktail Cart / 5. Maypex 2-Tiered Matte Black Metal Frame White Oak Bar Cart / 6. Southern Enterprises Berndt Champagne Finish Bar Cart
I grabbed all my items I wanted to use to style the bar cart and played a little musical chairs to find out what exactly was too big and too small.
The fun thing about a bar cart, you can literally put whatever you want on there – but sometimes having a little guide makes it easier!
Fool Proof, Bar Cart Styling 101
Side: Primary spirits or decanter (your choosing!)
Middle: Drink making tools (shaker, muddler, mixing glasses, stirring spoon, etc.) including your everyday drink glasses and a citrus bowl (use this citrus bowl to garnish your drinks with)
Other Side: Tall decor piece to balance out like a vase, sculpture, plant, etc.
Side: Tall liquor bottles and mixing agents or extras
Middle: Add texture/definition (using a tray, small stand with little legs or shallow basket) to display additional glassware, maybe a fun smelling candle!
Other Side: Add another decor piece, like a vase if you didn’t use one on the top shelf or a figurine, or using an ice bucket with tongs.
Just like using triangles and grouping things in odd numbers for styling, you use the same techniques for styling a bar cart to create dimension and different levels by adding things to the middle and sides.
Are you ready to see how our bar cart turned out?! I’m just a tiny bit excited because it’s just so adorable!
We did both an indoor and outdoor bar cart styling. Which one is your fav? Are you team indoor bar cart or team outdoor bar cart?
These Gallery 16×20 matted to 8×10 Rustic Brown Picture Frames have become a favorite of mine from Home Depot, they come as a set of 2 and are super affordable for the size! Adding photos above the bar cart really creates an intimate space that still feels part of the living room.
Adding a large vase and sculpture was a no brainer for this project, homedepot.com/decor has some of my favorite vases of all time! This Zentique Distressed White Large Decorative Vase was the perfect touch for my greenery and the LITTON LANE Natural Teak Wood Mask on Stand was a great piece to balance out the bottom of the bar cart.
We created a vintage inspired bar cart with a few vintage pieces and home decor all found on homedepot.com/decor! I’ve rounded up some of our favorites to help you style your own bar cart.
- Libbey Mixologist 9-Piece Cool Cocktails Set / 2. Fortessa Stainless Steel Crafthouse Shaker Set / 3. Godinger 9-Piece Black Leather Set / 4. Godinger 5-Piece Hammered Bar Set / 5. Mikasa Apple 5-Piece Stainless Steel Bar Set / 6. Legacy Bar-BackPack Grey Portable Cocktail Tote
The Home Depot has a great assortment of bar carts for any style and size. We loved this Carter Modern Rolling Glass Bar 2-Tier Serving Cart Matte Black Metal Frame Oak Wood Shelf so much because you can swap the glass and wood insert to switch it up for a different look!
- TarHong 6-Piece Cordoba Recycled Green Stacking Goblet Set / 2. JoyJolt Cosmos Highball Drinking Glasses (Set of 8) / 3. Godinger Lumina Tasters (Set of 6) / 4. Libbey Yute 8-Piece Gold Glass Tumbler Set / 5. Fortessa Jupiter Smoke Grey Double Old-Fashioned Whiskey Glass (Set of 6) / 6. Split P Hammered Tumbler (Set of 6)
My favorite glassware we used is the TarHong 10.5 oz. 6-Piece Cordoba Recycled Green Stacking Goblet Set. They look high end for a great price and being plastic they’re great for outdoor use too.
The outdoor bar cart brings you into the jungle with our tropical backyard and I could not be more excited with how both of these bar cart styles turned out.
Styling a bar cart was super fun especially styling one for indoor and outdoor use, let me know in the comments below which bar cart was your favorite! We will definitely be using ours for both. Now that you have a fool-proof way to style a bar cart it’s time to walk the walk!
Be sure to check out homedepot.com/decor for some amazing pieces and to scoop up all of these great finds and more!
- Carter Modern Rolling Glass Bar 2-Tier Serving Cart Matte Black Metal Frame Oak Wood Shelf
- TarHong 10.5 oz. 6-Piece Cordoba Recycled Green Stacking Goblet Set
- Libbey Mixologist 9-Piece Cool Cocktails Set
- Zentique Distressed White Large Decorative Vase
- LITTON LANE Rectangular Natural Brown Rattan Decorative Trays (Set of 2)
- LITTON LANE Natural Teak Wood Mask on Stand, 8 in. x 15.5 in.
- 3R Studios Cow Shaped Magnesia Figurine
- Gallery 16×20 matted to 8×10 Rustic Brown Picture Frame Set of 2
Let me know if you have any questions about this project below!
For more behind the scenes on all of our DIY and home projects be sure to follow along on instagram @kourtnileigh. To see all of our inspo and upcoming projects be sure to follow along on pinterest.